Wednesday, May 23, 2012

"Shapin'" Things Up!

When I look back over my 6.5 years of Scrapbooking, I think I can honestly say, that I have only cut my photos into shapes other than squares or rectangles, about a max of 3 times.  I was never into the whole shaped photo thing and the ones that I did cut into shapes, were circles.  Well, when I saw this week's challenge at Studio Calico, hosted by Kelly Purkey, I thought it was time to give it a try.  Kelly's challenge, was to use Hexagon shaped photos and I thought, "if Kelly Purkey is cutting her photos into hexagons, then I'm gonna give it a try too"!!  And guess what?  I ended up loving the end result.  The photos I picked worked perfectly for the Hexagon shape and it gave me a quick and easy design for my layout.



 
I used my Desktop Publishing program to create the Hexagon shape around my photos.  Then I just printed them and cut out the shapes.  And I decided this would be a fun layout to add some Hexagon confetti to for the Three Cool Chicks workshop.  One of the trends they spotlighted during the workshop was confetti, so I just used my Cricut to cut the smaller Hexagon shapes and placed them around the larger shapes.

I hope you will have a little fun with your next layout!  Maybe Hexagon shaped photos aren't for you, but maybe find a new trend or technique that looks exciting and give it a try.  Who knows, you might end up loving it!!

Products Used:

Patterned Paper:  Studio Calico
Smooch Spritz:  Clear Snap
Brads:  The Paper Studio
Washi Tape:  SEI & K&Company
Thickers:  American Crafts
Font:  CK Journaling & Abadi MT Condensed Extra Bold
Other:  Tag & Staples  

7 comments:

  1. This turned out AWESOME!! LOVING the hexagon photos!!! Love love love the design too!! BEAUTIFUL!!!!

    BUT best of ALL!?!?!?!??! I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE the "I LOVE NY" shirt!!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Ashley, I'm still stumped by the hexagon :) Love your sequence photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous Ashley...and I think I am going to take up the challenge of cutting my photos into hexagons too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this turned out great Ashley, you are right, those photos are perfect for the shape, lots of fun elements on this page :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Ashley. This is just perfect! I love the hexagons and all your details. I remember way back when I first started scrapping and all my photos were cut into balloons or stars...I once cut all my son's baby pictures into a shape of a dinosaur. I think I'm going to have to try this. Maybe my old layouts are back in style!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this turned out GREAT! Good for you that you didn't fall prey to the shape cutting of photos--unfortunetly I did--those layouts are securely locked away for NO ONE to see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photos do look great in hexagons and I really like the confetti.

    ReplyDelete