Monday, September 3, 2012

Counterfeiting Anyone?

Confused?  Let me explain.  I am sure most of you have seen or visited the Counterfeit Kit BlogThe premise of CKB, is taking popular Kits and using your own stash to compile a similar Kit.  I think this is a fabulous idea, but alas, I have been too lazy to ever get a Kit together.  Well, I got a little inspiration last week, when I received a tweet for an awesome Studio Calico blow-out sale.  I popped over to take a look at what they had and there were $30 or more kits going for $10 and under.  I was READY to start shopping!!  But then, I took a closer look at the Kits and I noticed that in more than half of them, I already had most of the same papers in my Scrapbooking stash.  So I argued with myself, to buy or not to buy, that is the question.  In the end, my frugality won out and I decided to save some photos of the Kits and get to work and put my own together.  Shocking, I know!!  

Okay, so now I'll show you the Studio Calico Kit, that I drew inspiration from and what I put together.  I focused mainly on the papers, since I had some good matches in that area.  I went a little more rogue on my embellishments, but I think it worked out well for my page.  And do not laugh at my Kit photo, because it is no where near as fabulous as Studio Calico's photo!!  :)


  
Okay, my photo DEFINITELY is not as fabulous as the Studio Calico photo!!  :)  Next time I do this, I will try to work on a better shot of what I put together.  So here is what I did, I had matching papers to the Kit as far as the Black & Cream pattern from MME, the ruler pattern from Crate Paper's Farmhouse collection, and the red Chevron from Fancy Pants.  I also had the alphabet pattern from October Afternoon, but forgot to add it in (but I probably wouldn't have used it on the page I'm gonna be sharing, anyway).  :)-  For the other papers, I chose patterns and colors from my stash that were similar to what was used in the Kit and for the solids, I decided to work with the Gray and Brown for this layout.  As far as embellishments, I added in a few Amy Tangerine goodies.  And on my layout, you will see that I added in Thickers, October Afternoon buttons, a die-cut Gray tag, and a Flair Button from Ormolu...this is where my laziness came into play, because I just didn't feel like separating all of that out from my stash and adding it to the picture!!  :)  NOW, onto the layout...



 
I just had to document these photos, because let me tell you...I have been through potty training with two girls and I was not prepared for a boy!!  It has been rough going!!  We make it to the potty plenty of times, but as far as actually "accomplishing" anything...well, let's just say we're about 1 for 100!!  :)  One of my friends said to leave this page from being plastered on the Internet for saving our son's embarrassment, but hey, he's only 3, so I am sure I will find more opportunities between now and the teenage years to embarrass him!!  :)  I didn't really have a design pre-planned for this layout.  I just kind of placed a few things on the page and then started sticking them down.  But it came together fairly easy, and I think it's because I put the Kit together ahead of time.  This probably won't be something I do for every layout from now on, but I think it's a great idea for when I'm going to a Crop and of course, I could use the same Kit that I put together for several layouts.

So, there you have it!!  A little look into a fun way to prepare for your next layout.  Find a Kit you like and see what you can put together.  It's a fun way to find new uses for old things in your stash and a great way to deplete your stash...so you can buy more new stuff!!  :)

Products Used:  Patterned Paper:  Studio Calico, Fancy Pants, MME, Crate Paper; Thickers:  American Crafts; Font:  Geodesic & Rustler; Buttons, Stickers, & Mini Market Stickers:  October Afternoon; Remarks Sticker & Die Cut Cardstock Shapes:  Amy Tangerine; Flair Button:  Ormolu; Pen:  Sharpie


10 comments:

  1. Super idea! I am going to revisit my collection and see what I can come up with and "bag" it in those plastic sleeves (from other kits) that I've been saving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the CK challenge a few months ago, it was so helpful! Great kit and your layout is super cute! You have made me nervous though... I have potty trained two girls as well, and now I have a very strong willed boy who is reaching that age. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I give total Kudos to those that put together kits!!! It's not as easy as it looks! :) I loveeeeeeeeeee your lo!!! LOVING the colors, the little cardboard peeps ... and I totally agree with you... boys are HARDER to train!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute layout! I've tried to do the same, but instead, I have just made a promise that I will not buy anything new unless I can justify EXACTLY what it is being used for!....With the Disney, Wedding and baby boy pictures, I had to buy some things, but I have so much stash that I really need to get to using them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your layout, amazing with what you did with your own kit! Now I am sure the scrapbooker in you has rationalized your next purchase with your savings, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this layout!!!! Those photos are adorable, love the long title, and that you told the story :) Great job with your own kit, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! I love the "kit" you put together and the layout you created!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how you put your own kit together...Crafty and frugal! I love it! And your page is super cute! Alot of fun things going on! This page will be one to go down in history! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These pics are cracking me up!! He is so stinkin cute :) Great idea coming up with your own kit from your stash. I need to try that!

    ReplyDelete