Friday, July 17, 2015

Simple Stories | Summer, Summer Summertime

This is a personal blog. All editorial content and projects are intellectual property of ashleyhortondesigns.com. I do receive compensation and material product from Simple Stories to develop my craft posts, but all ideas and opinions are my own.

I've got two new layouts to brighten your day, using the Summer Vibes collection from Simple Stories!  There's no denying it's Summertime!  And with the warm temps, come popsicles out in the backyard and a lot of time spent in the swimming pool!
I started my first layout, with a die cut, to mimic the look of a large sun and cut it from the Yellow Wood/Grid patterned paper.  Then I backed several of the open spots with patterned paper from the 6x6 paper pad.



Since I had the large circle element at the center of the layout, I thought it would be fun to create a circular title to go around it.  I used Silhouette Studio and my Cameo to create and cut out the title letters from the 6x6 paper pad.  I wanted the title to really stand out on my layout, so instead of adhering the letters directly to the background paper, I added pop dot adhesive to each of the letters before arranging them around the die cut.


I didn't want to cover any of the title letters or the center die cut, so I placed my photo to the left hand side of the layout.  I used one of the Chipboard Frames from the Summer Vibes collection, along with some Bits & Pieces, Stickers and Chipboard Stickers, to draw attention to the photo.






Supplies:

Yellow Wood/Grid Patterned Paper #6320
Just Beachy Patterned Paper #6304
6x6 Paper Pad #6322
Bradz #6327
Bits & Pieces #6329
Chipboard Stickers #6328
Enamel Dots #6331
Chipboard Frames #6338


It took me a while to decide on a design for my second layout, because honestly, the Shine On patterned paper with the Bokeh print is so gorgeous on it's own!  I thought about just sticking my photo in the center of the paper and calling it done!!  But I do love to embellish, so I finally came up with a design that I was happy with and that still let the background paper "shine on".


I wanted a large element in the background, that I could use to ground the frames that I planned to use on the layout, but didn't want to use a large die cut that would cover the background paper.  I decided to go with a large stitched heart, and chose three colors of embroidery floss that coordinated with the Shine On patterned paper.  After I finished stitching around each of the hearts, I added my photo to the center, and the then used the remaining space around the heart, to add the Chipboard Frames.


I debated whether or not I wanted to back each of the frames, but decided to only back the one at the top of the layout.  This allowed the color from the background paper, and the stitching around the heart to show through the frames.  Then I used several embellishments from the Summer Vibes collection to "decorate" each of the frames.  


There are so many fun ways to use the Summer Vibes collection to document all of your Summer activities!  I know I'll be using it for a lot more upcoming Summer layouts! 

Supplies:

Shine On Patterned Paper #6305
6x6 Paper Pad #6322
Bradz #6327
Bits & Pieces #6329
Chipboard Stickers #6328
Enamel Dots #6331
Washi Paper Tape #6335
Chipboard Frames #6338


https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheCutShoppe

No comments:

Post a Comment