Friday, September 25, 2015

Illustrated Faith | Journaling Bible

This is a personal blog. All editorial content and projects are intellectual property of ashleyhortondesigns.com. I do receive compensation and material product from Illustrated Faith to develop my craft posts, but all ideas and opinions are my own.

It's been busy around the Blog, but I was up last week with two post on the Illustrated Faith Blog and wanted to share them here, too!  There are so many new stamps and products to play with in your Journaling Bible or your layouts, so make sure you visit the Illustrated Faith Etsy Shop to check them out!

Matthew 5:13

It's always great to hear a sermon on a verse or chapter you're pretty familiar with.  I think God always has something new for us to hear, no matter whether it's a Scripture or story we've heard 50 times or more. 

Several weeks ago our Pastor's sermon was on Matthew 5:13, "You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost it's taste, how shall its saltiness be restored?  It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet."  I have heard this verse countless times through other sermons, Sunday School, camps, Vacation Bible School...you name it, I've heard it.



As I was taking notes, one of the points Pastor Chris shared during the sermon, was "Don't let your inability to do everything, keep you from doing something."  This really stood out, because a lot of times I feel like it's impossible to accomplish anything for God, because I can't possibly change everything.  But this message reminded me that I don't have to change everything.  Any little bit of what I do for God counts.  It's worth something. 

And I think, right now, Illustrated Faith is my something.  Being a stay at home mom, I don't always have a lot of interaction outside of my crazy kids!  And when you ask God for opportunities to share with others, He always brings those opportunities to you, despite your circumstances.  God is funny that way!!  I'm glad He put this in my path and the chance to get to know and share with so many Ladies all around the world, some who I may have the chance to meet one day and some that will just continue to be my internet friends.  



I hope God shows you what your something is, and that you can be the salt to those around you!

Supplies:  Homespun Alpha Stamp Set, Whatever Is Lovely Stickers, Wordfetti White Stickers, Genesis Kit, Send Me Stamp Set, Watercolors, Washi Tape, You Rule Bible Mat 


_________________________________________________

Psalm 23


It's funny where inspiration comes from, or what God might use to just send you a little message here or there.  When I received my newest happy mail from Illustrated Faith it included the Explore Stamp Set.  I'm not a big stamper, but the mountain image in the set kept calling my name, so I knew I wanted to use it.


I recently read The Road to Becoming by Jenny Simmons, former lead singer of Addison Road.  She talked about difficult moments that happened in the life of the band and her family, which led her to a place of feeling lost in God's plan.  Spiritually, none of us want to be in the desert, the valley, the wilderness.  It's a place we feel lonely, scared, trapped and forgotten.  We want to be back on the mountain ASAP, where God has something awesome in store for us.

But when I am in the valley, I tend to forget that God isn't waiting for me on the mountain top.  He's right there with me in the valley.  And if I spent more time listening to Him, than worrying about trying to get out of the valley, I might actually hear and learn something from God.  Our time in the valley can change us, grow us and teach us.  Psalm 23 is God's comfort to us, when we are in the valley.  He is our Shepherd, our Restorer, and our Comforter. 


Sometimes I think the mountain top can be more dangerous for Christians, than the valley.  The mountain top can become comfortable, and we forget to depend on God.  And that's when a trip to the valley slaps us in the face!  If we are depending on God on the mountain top, the walk through the valley might not be so hard.  It doesn't mean that there won't be hard things to face, but knowing that Jesus is there with us, gives us hope of seeing the mountain top at the end of the journey.

Supplies:  You Rule Bible Mat, Explore Stamp Set, Wordfetti White, Mini Olive You, Typed Practice What You Peach, Mini Mint to Be, Mini Bless Her Heart, Big & Bold Black Eyed Pea, Genesis Kit,
Watercolors

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheCutShoppe

No comments:

Post a Comment