Friday, January 11, 2013

Bad Photos, No Photos, No Problem!

I am so excited to share my first post with you today, as the Guest Designer for October Afternoon, during the month of January!  I was sent a ton of Farm Girl and Midway goodies and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw everything that was packed into that box!!  My first thought was, "where to start??!!"  But it didn't take long, to get the creative juices flowing.

I decided to start out, by using some of the Farm Girl collection.  It is adorable and I love the mix of images and the different patterned papers included in this line.  When I saw it, I thought of a photo I wanted to use to create a layout, but honestly, the photo was not that great.  So my challenge was using a bad photo, but still wanting to tell the story behind it.  I decided to "go big" with my title, embellishments and mix of products on this layout, to take some of the focus off of the bad photo, but still get my story scrapped.  The photo is dark in some places, over-exposed in others and also has some bad shadows.  But, I think using the "go big" approach gives your eye a chance to focus on all of the fun elements on the page, rather than the photo.


I really love the range of products that October Afternoon includes in each one of their collections...Buttons, Chipboard pieces, Stickers, Brads, Tin Pins, Miscellany Packs, Sprinklers, Washi Tape...and they are all coordinated perfectly.  It takes so much of the guess work out of putting your layouts together.  I mixed together a lot of the different elements on this layout, to create dimension and interest on my page.  I always love to add pop dots under the OA stickers, just to get that pop off the page look.  I also mixed in some of the buttons and brads to create a scattered effect near the journaling, embellishment cluster, and title work.  This fun mix of product use moves your eye around the page, without lingering on the photo for too long.






Now that I've shared an idea for using bad photos, what about when you have no photos?  Say for instance, if you are creating a December Daily, a mini album for an upcoming trip, or creating an album to give someone as a gift.  This can be a lot of fun, but a little intimidating.  I have a solution to this problem...OA's Here & Now Chapter books!  These books are great for creating a pre-made mini album to use for future photos.  The blank chipboard cover and back are perfect for decorating and the included pages are perfect for pre-embellishing. 

We are a Home School family and plan to plant and grow a garden this year.  I thought it would be great to transform the Farm Girl Here & Now Chapter Book into a little journal for our First Grader to document the growth of our Garden.  I have to admit, I had a lot of fun decorating the front cover of the book.  I used my craft knife, to cut out the word "grow" that is included on the front cover and then I backed each letter with a different patterned paper from the 8x8 paper pad.



Then I got started on the inside of my album.  The inside pages will be perfect for documenting the growth of our plants and for adding photos of the garden.  I used my Cameo to make a few negative cut titles, that I added into the album.



I also had a little bit of fun, with the buttons and added them to the folder tabs on each of the divider pages.  I chose to do a color coded look and matched the buttons to the color of the divider tab.




I added in some of the cute journaling cards, for my daughter to take notes and embellished a few of the pages, leaving room for her to add photos.  The Rubber Stamps included with this collection are adorable and they stamp really great images!  I decided to try out the cute little lamb on this page and it turned out perfectly.



The rest of the book was finished out, using a mix of Tin Pins, Stamps, Chipboard pieces, stickers, stitching, and brads.  And the great thing about this album, is that we can add in more pages as we go, if we need them.  I love having the binder hooks with this album, because they offer so much room for multiple pages and adding a lot of the cute embellishments to your pages.












Well, I hope you enjoyed my post for today, and hopefully found some ideas for creating with bad photos or no photos.  Make sure you join me next Friday, as I share some more projects using the Farm Girl and Midway collections.

See you then!




No comments:

Post a Comment