Thursday, March 24, 2016

Hip Kit Club | Spring Fever

This is a personal blog. All editorial content and projects are intellectual property of ashleyhortondesigns.com. I do receive compensation and material product from Hip Kit Club to develop my craft posts, but all ideas and opinions are my own.

It's almost impossible not to create a spring themed layout with the March 2016 Hip Kit & Add-On Kits from Hip Kit Club!  The colors in the kits this month, just have spring written all over them!  This week, I wanted to use the Smell the Roses cut file I created for March, but wanted to do something a little bit different.  I typically make a cut file like this, the focal point of my background, but this time I decided to break it up by layering another cut file over the top of it.


This layout actually ended up with four layers of paper!  I used the wood grain design, created by Kim Watson as the base of my layout.  I cut the Smell the Roses cut file from the Pink side of the Basic Grey paper.  Both of these patterns can be found in the March 2016 Main Kit and the March 2016 Paper Add-On Kit.  Then I cut my second cut file design from the White cardstock included in the March 2016 Cardstock Add-On Kit.  Before I put all of the layers together, I added my photo to one of the triangle shapes and also filled a few of the open spots with patterned paper from the Pinkfresh Studio 6x6 paper pad from the March 2016 Embellishment Kit.


For my title, I mixed the Maggie Holmes Doll Thickers from the Main Kit with the Pinkfresh Studio Thickers from the Embellishment Kit.  I didn't have the word "fever" in the Pinkfresh stickers, so I made it by cutting away the "fe" from the word life and pairing it with the "ver" from the word Ever.  I love the mix of the Green and Silver!  


Since things were so busy on the layout, because of the layered cut files and patterned paper, I decided to add less embellishing.  I mixed in some pops of color with ephemera pieces from the Pinkfresh Bits included in the Embellishment Kit.  I also love using wood veneers, so I placed a few of the Pinkfresh Studio Asterisk wood veneers around the page and added some of the Elle's Studio wood veneers that are in the March 2016 Project Life Kit.

I really liked this technique of layering cut files!  If you own a die cut machine, and haven't checked out the monthly cut files designed by Kim Watson, Nicole Nowosad and me, then you need to stop by the Hip Kit Club website, so you can download each month's designs!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheCutShoppe

No comments:

Post a Comment