Monday, August 5, 2013

Channeling My Inner Wilna

The CT Team at Get It Scrapped!, is sharing some fun inspiration today, using the Watercolor technique!  I will admit that I LOVE this look, but I don't do it often, because it is a paper crumpler and crumpled paper does not do good things for me.  But I have received some great tips for helping to flatten your paper, when you use this technique and I will share them with you, at the end of the post.

I am by no means a Wilna Furstenberg, who does such pretty things with Watercolor, but it is a technique that I would like to continue to perfect...or as close to perfect as I can get it.




  
We love spending time outside during the Summer, and one of the kids favorite things to do is blowing bubbles.  I am a beginner with Watercolor techniques, so I thought I would try a more simple approach in "getting my feet wet" with this technique.  I diluted a small drop of Mister Huey's Spray Mist in water and used a medium sized soft bristle paint brush to brush the color across my background paper.  While the color was still damp, I used some bottle caps from products in my scrap space and stamped some circle shapes using the mist as my ink.  Since the initial painted color was still damp, this helped give my stamped circles a more blended and softer look.  For a final layer, I added some mist drops to my layout by removing the nozzle from the mist bottle and dropping dots of color over the page.  I love that this look reflected the theme of my photo.

And I also wanted to offer some of the tips I've received, to help flatten your layout and make it easier for photographing your page, when using Watercolors, mists, or other wet mediums.

From Kelly Foster:

1.  Use heavy items, such as large books and lay them over your paper for a period of time to flatten it out.


2.  Tape your finished layout to a much heavier/thicker piece of cardstock.

From Yvonne Yam:

1.  Use mist on the backside of your page to help even out the warping, caused by just having some sprayed on the front side.

Both of these Ladies are experts with Mixed Media and a variety of Mediums, and I have tried all three tips and they have worked great!

Make sure you stop by the Get It Scrapped! Blog to take a look at how the other CT members incorporated the Watercolor look on their layouts.

Supplies:  Patterned Paper:  Elle's Studio & Simple Stories; Spray Mist& Wood Veneers:  Studio Calico; Thickers & Phrase Stamp:  American Crafts; Washi Tape:  Love My Tapes; Stickers:  Leeza Gibbons; Tags:  Elle's Studio; Ink:  Stampin' Up; Flair Button:  Cocoa Daisy; Other:  Stickers & Buttons
 

No comments:

Post a Comment