Wednesday, July 10, 2013

On the Boardwalk

Summer is in full force and that means time spent outside and in the pool.  Our kids started swim lessons two weeks ago and miraculously I got a shot of all 3 of them together at the pool, before the lesson started.  As soon as I saw our new July Kit, Boardwalk, for The Paper Bakery, I knew I wanted to use this photo on my layout.  And I wanted to try something a little (really a lot) different with my design.  I have to say, that Piradee Talvanna is a master when it comes to creating layouts with circle designs and circle photos.  I am usually terrified to try this, because I don't think I've used circle photos more than about 5 times since I first started scrapbooking.  But I wanted to create some Vellum confetti circles in the background of my layout and I thought I should try the circle photo...and it actually turned out the way I envisioned it!





 


Couldn't you just die from all of that yumminess??!!  This Kit has an amazing Nautical look going on, and some papers from Crate Paper The Pier, Studio Calico Atlantic, and those awesome clear acrylic alphas from Crate Paper.  If you are wondering how I attached those, I just ran them through my little Xyron and added some adhesive to the back.  I love that it keeps the clear look and I didn't have to worry about stitching or stapling the letters to my page.

I wanted to share a tutorial with you, on how I created the Vellum circles.  I will admit, it was a little time consuming, but I thought it was well worth it after the end result.

Before you begin, use a Hole Puncher to punch out pieces for your confetti.  This is a great use for scraps.


1.  Use Silhouette Studio to place and cut your circles.  Or, if you have an anywhere circle punch, that will work too.

2.  Flip your paper over and cut and place a piece of Vellum over the width of the circle.  Adhere the edges with Washi Tape or regular tape and then start placing the Confetti on the Vellum.  After you have all of your Confetti in place, cut and place another piece of Vellum over your Confetti to hold it in place.  Also secure the edges.  Once you have both pieces of Vellum in place, you can place a piece of patterned paper behind your 2nd piece of Vellum.  I used a subtle pattern from the Allison Kreft paper, included in the Kit.

3.  After you have completed each of your circles with the process from step number 2, go back and cut circle outlines for each of the circles on your page.  Then adhere them around the edge of each of the circles.

4.  To finish off your Vellum circles, use a paper piercer to punch through the circle outline and then go back and stitch around each of the circles.

Once you get the first one completed, the process will go a little faster.  And along with the hole punched confetti pieces, I added in some of the Vellum embellishments from the Studio Calico Atlantic pack included in the Kit and some sequins.

I hope you'll give this fun technique a try and don't forget to stop by The Paper Bakery shop to check out how you can get a Subscription to all of our monthly Kits!


No comments:

Post a Comment